|HOW DOES THE MONTHLY BUS PASS PROGRAM WORK?
Participating employers are able to offer TheBus monthly bus passes as a low-cost fringe benefit to employees who commute by TheBus. Each month, a supply of bus passes is provided to the employer. TheBus will work with an employer to devise the best distribution system. Bus passes can be fully or partially paid by the company.
- Tax-deductible business expense.
- Employees arrive more relaxed and on time.
- Promotes regular, on-going transit use.
- Meets the needs of companies with little or no employee parking.
- Helps keep down the cost of company-provided parking.
- Helps to recruit and retain employees.
- Helps decrease traffic congestion and preserve the environment.
- Perceived by employees as a valuable fringe benefit.
- Reduces commuting expenses.
- Eliminates the stress of hunting for a parking space every day.
- Easy bus pass access since passes are distributed at work.
IS THERE A COST FOR THE EMPLOYER?
Many employers subsidize the entire cost of a monthly bus pass, which is $60.00 per month per employee. Other employers provide a partial subsidy--as little as $5.00 per month to $20.00 per month per employee. Through recent tax law, employers can also allow employees to pay for the cost of monthly bus passes through pre-tax payroll deduction.